Review: Tigers claim thrilling win over Bloods

The Tyne-Tees Tigers took their first win of the 2019 season, beating reigning AFL Scotland Premiers Edinburgh Bloods by four points at the GSA.


It was an unbelievable first quarter as the hosts raced into the lead.


After going close five minutes in with a free-kick, Connor Robinson kicked the Tigers first goal after nine minutes.


He would as a second in the 12th minute, sneaking the ball between the posts from a very tight angle on the right.


The Tigers would score their third and fourth goals of the game within a minute. First, in the 14th minute, Roy Brannigan scored to become the clubs all-time leading goalscorer before Robinson completed his first-half hat-trick.


The Bloods managed to pull one back with two first-quarter minutes remaining.


End of Q1: Tigers 29 (4.5) Bloods 6 (1.0)


Scoring would slow down enormously in the second quarter, with the Bloods kicking the only goal after 15 minutes. There would be nine behinds between the sides, with the Tigers kicking seven of them throughout the quarter.


Half-time: Tigers 36 (4.12) Bloods 14 (2.2)


It would be another low scorer in the third, but it would see the Bloods start a turnaround.


Jack Woods kicked his first goal for the club on debut after 11 minutes, topping off a solid first game in Aussie Rules for him.


The Bloods scored almost instantly after though, before adding another in the 16th minute, as well as their four behinds for the quarter.


End of Q3: Tigers 47 (5.27) Bloods 30 (4.6)


The Tigers headed into the final 20 minutes with a lead of 17 points, however, the final quarter would prove to be a dramatic one.


The Bloods goaled after five minutes but skipper Brannigan was on hand to pull the six points back a minute later.


Two goals in quick succession, in the 15th and 17th minutes respectively, brought the visitors to within two points of the hard battling Tigers, with it beginning to look like the game was slipping away.


Two quickfire behinds with just over a minute left to play gave the Tigers something to defend, and defend they did with the four-point lead intact as the final whistle went.


Full-time: Tigers 56 (6.20) Bloods 52 (7.10)

© 2016 - 2018 by TYNE TEES TIGERS ARFC.  Created with

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Twitter - White Circle
This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now